Are you thinking of trying Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM in Singapore?
Here’s a quick overview of two popular TCM techniques, Gua Sha and Tui Na Massage – how they work and their benefits.
What is Gua Sha Massage?
Gua sha is a technique used in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Its goal is to promote the flow of energy or chi throughout the body, especially if it becomes blocked. If the chi is unable to move freely, the body loses harmony, which can affect your health and well-being.
Gua sha massage uses a tool that’s rubbed on the skin in long strokes. The tool has smooth edges and it’s moved around the body, that’s why many, in general, describe the technique as a massage using a tool.
Gua sha may be used to relieve muscle pain and tension. Pressure is applied to the skin to create light bruising.
Benefits of Gua Sha Massage
- Relieves pain. Gua sha can help relieve body pain. It can soothe sore and stiff muscles, helping improve mobility afterward. If you’d like to reduce dependency to painkillers, consider trying Gua Sha. Gua sha can also help if you’re experiencing neck and body pain from working in front of the computer for long periods.
- Non-invasive. Gua sha isn’t a surgical procedure, nor does it involve the use of needles. If you have fear of needles or are looking for alternative treatments that don’t require hospital stays, you might find Gua Sha appealing.
- Boosts immune system. Gua Sha helps stimulate the immune system and promote healing and recovery. One study showed that the technique has helped male weightlifters perform better after receiving Gua Sha therapy. Researchers concluded that the technique may be used as an alternative to help during recovery for sports training.
What is a Tui Na Massage
Tui Na massage is a form of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Similar to Gua Sha, it’s based on the principle that imbalance in chi or energy flow may also throw off the body’s balance and result in illnesses.
TCM Tui Na focuses on specific acupoints in the body and therapists use their fingers to apply pressure on these points.
It aims to boost the harmony of yin and yang in the body, eliminate energy blockage, and promote overall health. Tui Na can be used with acupuncture.
Benefits of Tui Na Massage
- Promotes quality sleep. Restful sleep is important to recharge the body. But some days, getting quality sleep can be tough. Poor sleep can result in exhaustion, lack of focus, and irritability during the day. Tui Na can help you destress and enjoy good sleep. Your therapist can focus on certain points of your body to calm active energy and allow you to rest better.
- Relieves headache. Tui Na can help ease tension and stress in the mind and body, and get the energy flowing freely throughout the body again. This can help provide relief from headaches and other diseases related to stress.
Both Gua Sha and Tui Na massage can be beneficial for your overall health. To get started, consult with your primary care physician first, especially if you have existing medical conditions. Also, be sure to book an appointment only with registered TCM physicians and experienced therapists in Singapore.